The EtherCAT application include the File over EtherCAT (FoE) mailbox which allow to update the firmware of summit devices. Follow the next steps to update a summit device:
Open Twincat and scan the network to discover the summit device. See the steps from this quick start guide
Copy the available ESI file of the downloaded firmware package into TwinCAT\3.1\Config\Io\EtherCAT folder before opening TwinCAT
- Open the online tab and set the drive into the Init state.
- Then set the drive into bootstrap state. The RUN LED will be blinking green and fast.
- Click on download, and look for the firmware *.sfu file. Click on all files option to be able to see the file.
- Write the password 0x70636675 and click on OK.
- A downloading message will appear on the down bar. Wait until the message changes to ready.
- Come back to the Init state and wait until the LED status flashes in red and a message of communication re-initialization appears on the TwinCat log.